Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chief Pale Ale

In my last post I explained Warrior the 1981 Rabbit Diesel truck.  Well this post is about her sister, the Chief, my brother's 1981 Rabbit Truck.  He bought her in Colorado and was driven back to Nebraska, well, about three quarters of the way and at about Ogallala, NE the water pump went out and she was flat-bedded the rest of the way to Kearney.

This is not a picture of Chief, but it is the same color, apart of her orange hood...

Since Chief is a nice pale yellow, I decided her most fitting dedicated brew would be a pale ale.  I wanted to do something with some hop flavor but still a nice malty-ness.  I decided to start with a 2-row barley base and add some caramel malt with some carapils as well.  I also wanted to stick with a traditional English hop, so I went with Willamette for the bittering, aroma and dry hop.

10.5 lbs. 2-Row
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz.Crystal 40L
1 oz. Willamette 60 mins.
1 oz. Willamette 20 mins.
1/2 oz. Willamette Dry Hop

I carbonated the beer today and it has a very nice flavor.  The hops are subtle and not over powering but it still has a little sweet and malty finish. I think next time I'll try a little more dry hop.  But over all, a good Pale Ale.


No comments:

Post a Comment