Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Warrior Double India Pale Ale

I have a new girlfriend.  Her name is Warrior, yes, my wife knows.  She has a few issues and obviously needs quite a bit of attention, but I'm excited at my new relationship.  And my new beer is inspired by her.

She's a 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit or "Caddy" Truck.  She has a 1.6L Diesel engine, no turbo, so 56 horsepower.  Still the last owner thought it was a big truck so she's got dual chrome stacks, a 3" lift, and emblems that say "Size Matters" and "Turbo" (even though she's naturally aspirated).  She's equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission so that mean about 50 miles to the gallon.  She's dressed in forest green with orange pin striping.



Now I can't get credit for finding this treasure.  My brother Eric helped me find this beauty.  His first truck, also a '81 Rabbit came from Colorado.  His yellow truck with an orange hood named "Chief" was the first in his fleet.  The second truck, Warrior, found him.  Along with a third, an '80 Rabbit, and a parts truck.  Deciding he had too many projects, he turned one over to me.

I named this truck "Warrior" for a few reasons.  One, it plays off the name of my brother's truck, "Chief".  It is also the name of one of my favorite types of hops with a high alpha acid content.  It is also green so, as a home brewer, it reminded me of hops.  It was also a leadership position I help in a group, the Scarlet and Cream, in college.

I was inspired by these diesel trucks to make some dedicated brews, an IPA and a Pale Ale for Chief.  Today was my day off so I decided to start with the IPA.  This is a strong IPA, it'll be around 8% by volume with plenty of Warrior hop flavor.  It has a nice amber color and it had a  roasty smell while it was in the mash.



Recipe:
16 lbs. 2-row Barley
2 lbs. Amber Malt
2 oz. Warrior Hops
2 oz. Summit Hops
1 oz. Warrior Hops Dry Hop
.5 oz. Summit Hops Dry Hop
1968 London Ale Yeast



I started my mash at 152 degrees and a stiff mash as well.  I let it sit for an hour and then began sparging.  I did a 90 minute boil and I started adding my hops at 10 minutes after the first bubbles appeared.  I mixed together the Summit and Warrior hops in a bowl, I added .5 oz. of the mixture every 10 minutes.  This should give the beer a nice variety of hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma.  The dry hopping will also give it some grassy, resin flavor.  I can't wait to try this beer.



I did something stupid though, I haven't brewed in a while, and I know that isn't an excuse, but I forgot to sanitize my fermenter.  I had just rinsed it out, but there could have been some bad critters in it anyway.  I had already pitched my $6 yeast so I decided to just chance it.  So we'll just see what happens.  Again, cross your fingers...

So it tastes great!  The beer turned out fantastic and is a great dedication to the truck.  It has a great malty-ness and a great hoppy bitterness.  It also has a nice grapefruit citrus flavor.  That color came out great too.  I think this is my favorite double IPA recipe so far.

1 comment: