Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smokin' Oinker Bacon Ale

This next brew was inspired by my friend Drew Urbanovsky.  One day at work we were coming up with the ultimate business idea.  He thought any bar that would incorporate beer, bacon, and boobs would never go broke.  Well this next brew takes care of two of those.

When I think of bacon, I think of roastyness, smoke, and salt.  So in developing the recipe I added 2 oz. of chocolate malt to give it some brown color and some roastyness.  I also added 8.2 oz. of Caramel 60L malt to give it some sweetness and a little more color.  Also a nice malt base will give the beer some depth.  I also wanted to try some high alpha acid hops for the bittering hop.


9 lbs. 2-row Barley
8.2 oz. Caramel 60L
2 oz. Chocolate Malt
1/2 oz. Yakama Magnum 60 mins.
1/2 oz. Willamette 2 mins.
5 oz. Cooked Bacon
1968 London Ale Yeast

I brewed and poured the cooled wart over the flocculated yeast of the Chief Pale Ale.  It was fermenting almost immediately.  I will add 5 oz. of cooked bacon when I transfer it over for secondary fermentation.  After that I will taste it daily until the beer has the right amount of bacon flavor.

Here's an updated picture of the Kegorator with my current brew numbers
Last night I cooked the bacon for the "Dry Hogging."  I heated up the oven to 425 degrees and placed the bacon on a cookie sheet.  


I then dried the bacon and let the grease from the bacon drip off.  I then dried the bacon with paper towels and placed it in a muslin bag and I will daily test the flavor of the beer until it has he right amount bacon flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment